Tough day ahead: Proton Beam #24 and Chemo #4 today!
Throughout this journey the word “Inspiration” has come up quite a bit and I wanted to share some thoughts on it’s composition.
During the session I did at Harvard last week I was asked the question, how does one become more inspirational as a leader? What I remember most was that my on the spot answer was enough to get by but honestly not very good.
Now that I’ve spent some time thinking about a smarter response, in my humble opinion, Inspiration is made of the the 6 following ingredients:
- Making sure people’s purposes and passions mean more than profits or process improvements
- That you care about your people and they know it
- That as their leader you value good news and bad news with the same intensity as getting paid to solve problems is universal for all of us
- That you have your team’s back, especially when mistakes are made as long it’s not an integrity violation (that’s compliance, not inspiration- entirely separate discussion)
- That you make your leadership requests align to what they are really good at and you leverage their strengths
- That you are consistently mindful and do numbers 1-5 above while being authentic- no one likes fake or phony leaders as you can spot them a mile away
I hope these 6 points help you inspire more people today! Remember the latin words: ASPIRA, INSPIRA, EXHALO, which translates to Aspire to Inspire before you Expire!